"DARTON, a parish in the wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Barugh, Darton, and Kexborough, and containing 2176 inhabitants, of which number, 1340 are in the township of Darton, 3 miles N.W. from Barnesley. The living is a discharged vicarage in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the Icing's books at £12. 10., endowed with £250 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of G. W. Wentworth, Esq. The church is dedicated to All Saints. In 1868, George Beaumont bequeathed £500 towards supporting a schoolmaster for the free education of the children of the inhabitants; the number is about sixty, and the income £54 a year: the schoolroom was rebuilt in 1800."
"BARUGH, a township in the parish of DARTON, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles W.N.W. from Barnesley, containing 396 inhabitants. Here is a small endowed school, also an almshouse for two poor widows."
"KEXBOROUGH, a township in the parish of DARTON, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles W.N.W. from Barnesley, containing 440 inhabitants. John Sylvester, Esq. erected a school, and endowed it with a rent-charge of £ 5 per annum, for which eight children are instructed."