Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: DEWSBURY ST JOHN. Church dedication: ST. JOHN'S. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Agbriggwapentake. L.D. - Population *1, vide Dewsbury; Chapel-room, 600 *2; Net value, £43.
Patron, the Vicar of Dewsbury.
Built under the Parliamentary grant. Augmented in 1828 with £600 by lot.
Architecture Gothic, with tower and pinnacles. First stone laid August 1823. Cost, £5,502. 16s. 8d. No district yet assigned. -Vide 8th Report, page 3.
No return as to registers.
No glebe house.
*1 Returned, in 1834, at 2247 ; but as no district has been assigned, there seems no data for such a return.
*2 Of which 248 are free sittings.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.