Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: OSSETT WITH GAWTHORPE.     Church dedication: HOLY TRINITY.

Agbrigg wapentake, L.D. - Population, 5,325 *1, vide Dewsbury; Chapel-room, 1,000 *2; Net value, £162.

Patron, the Vicar of Dewsbury.

At the time of the Parliamentary Survey the maintenance was £2 per annum. To remain a Chapelry. -Vol. xviii. page 294.

Augmented in 1718 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Mr. T. Walshaw and others ; in 1729, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Rev. Henry Robinson; in 1804, with £200 and £200 to meet benefactions of £200 from Mr. Marshall's trustees, and £200 from the Rev. Edward Kilvington; and in 1817 with £600 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.

An Inclosure Act was passed 47th Geo. III.

5th July 1805, a faculty was granted to enlarge the Chapel and build a gallery.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

No return as to Registers, vide Dewsbury.

Charities:
Charity School. Established, by means of a subscription, in 1745. Income, rent of five cottages and a croft, let for £20. 9s. 2d. per annum. Ten poor children taught reading, writing, and accounts, and which are a reduced number, but it was proposed to add additional scholars.

Sarah Wilson's dole. Interest of £10.

Syke's dole. Interest of £2. 12s.

These two sums have been taken by the parish, and no interest paid for some years. A promise was made to the Commissioners that the arrears should be paid up, and distributed amongst the poor. -Vide 19th Report, page 551.

Post town: Wakefield.


References:
Archbishop Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 181. Whitaker's Loidis et Elmete, page 309.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 5,361.

*2 Of which 300 free sittings have been obtained, under a grant of £300 from the Society for Enlarging Churches. The estimate in 1818 was 1,360.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.