DEWSBURY: Dewsbury-Springfield Chapel Congregational Church History up to 1868.



When Mr. Weeks gave notice of his intention to resign his charge at Ebenezer Chapel, some of his friends suggested to him the erection of a new sanctuary in Dewsbury. This, however, he declined, being already under engagements to Manchester. Before Mr. Shillito's invitation, 107 members amicably seceded. The number was afterwards increased to I16. A new chapel was commenced, the foundation-stone of which was laid by E. Baines, Esq., of Leeds, March 25, 1856. It was opened, Nov. 26, by Revs. J. Sherman and E. Mellor. The first pastor was-
  • 1856. Rev. G. MCCALLUM (from Perth). He is the present minister (in 1868).

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.