OSSETT: Ossett Central Baptist Church History up to 1912.



The Central Church at Ossett is an outgrowth from the Church at Ossett South. On January 25th, 1894, a meeting was held at the house of Mr. Jonas Glover to consider the advisability of commencing a new cause in this part of the town, and in the following June, services were begun in the Co-operative Hall. The Church was constituted on January 14th, 1895, with nineteen members. In 1898, it reported the completion of a new school-chapel with nine classrooms and a lecture hall, since which time a caretaker's house has been added, and additional land purchased. The Central Church united with the mother Church in the pastorate of Rev. T. R. Lewis (1906-8), and still continues in this unity under the ministry of Rev. T. Cotes. It is anticipating the building of a new chapel, in the near future.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley