Area, 5,842 acres. Soke of Doncaster. - Population, 11,572 *1; Church-room, 2,000; Net value, £125. -This Church was, in the time of Henry I., given by Nigell Fossard to the Abbey of St. Mary's, York. It was then a Rectory of medieties till 6th Kal., April 1303, when it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained, and which was confirmed 23rd December 1320; and in 36th Henry VIII. the Advowson was granted to the Archbishop, who is still the patron and impropriator, in exchange; and on the 15th Oct. 1434, by composition, the Vicar was charged with the reparation of the Chancel.
Torre names only one Chantry, founded by Thomas de Fledburgh. Seven are named in the Valor Ecc.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £93. 6s. 8d. per annum ; The Vicarage, in the King's books, at £32. 19s. 2d. per annum. Synodals, 6s. 8d.; Procurations, 7s. 6d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 2, and vol. xviii. page 518, it is stated : " The Rectory belongs to the Archbishop, charged with £40 to the Vicar, £3. 6s. 8d. to the poor, 13s. 4d. for bread and wine, 2s. Lord's rent, and 2s. 6d. to the clerk and sexton." " A Vicarage, with house and garden. £33. 6s. 8d. paid by the Earl of Kingston, the Rector's lessee, and also £6. 13s. 4d. augmentation. The Vicar is liable to all subsidies ; 20 nobles per annum are paid from the audit at Pontefract to an assistant minister. There are in the parish 1,500 communicants at the least. The towns following to be taken from Doncaster parish, and added to others, viz. : Wheatley to Kirk Sandall parish ; Balby, Henthrop, and part of Warmsworth, to Warmsworth parish ; and Carr House, Tylts, Langthwaite, and part of Stockbridge, to Arksey parish."
The Lectureship was founded by Alderman Skelton in 1698.
Inclosure Acts were passed 5th Geo. III. and 24th Geo. III.
For the inscriptions, monuments, and list of Vicars, see Hunter's South Yorkshire.
6th October 1739, faculty to build an organ gallery.
18th June 1764, ditto to erect a gallery.
25th October 1766, ditto to alter the situation of the pulpit.
4th November 1768, ditto to erect a gallery.
29th October 1792, an additional burial-ground was consecrated.
23rd September 1796, faculty to build a vestry.
A mortgage of £494. 15s. under Gilbert's Act will cease in 1848.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1557.
The Grammar School. The Commissioners met with no deeds respecting the origin or foundation of the school. The mayor and corporation act as trustees, and appoint the master. The school-room is part of the building which was formerly the Chapel of Saint Mary Magdalen. The master instructs gratuitously in classical learning all the sons of freemen of Doncaster who are sent to him, and has had, on an average, about seven such scholars at a time. He has also voluntarily received and taught as free scholars the sons of some other inhabitants. A quarterage is paid by the free scholars for instruction in writing and accounts. The income consists of £80 per annum, paid by the corporation (which appears to be a voluntary or customary gift), rent of 2a. 1r. 23p. of land, and rent of three pews in the Church. It is surmised that the pews must have appertained to three messuages, now lost or alienated from the school.
Hollis's charity, vide Sheffield. £15 per annum to a schoolmaster, for teaching poor children to read and write.
St. Thomas's Hospital, founded by Thomas Ellis, by deed, dated 10th October, 4th and 5th Philip and Mary, for the habitation of six poor men and women at the least, being such as were of good fame, and had dwelt within the parish, and had fallen into poverty by sickness or misfortune. Income : rent of 185a. 0r. 7p. of land, let, at the time of the Report, for £424. 12s. per annum. Six almswomen, generally widows, inhabit the hospital, and are paid 9s. a week; also £1. 1s. a year for coals, and 1s. each at Christmas. There are about twelve out-pensioners at 6s. each a week, and allowance as above for coals and Christmas-boxes. £10. 10s. per annum is paid to a receiver; £2. 2s. per annum to a clerk ; £5. 4s. per annum for making the payments ; and £2. 2s. per annum for giving notices of meetings. Trustees : the mayor, aldermen, Vicar, and others.
Stock's Almshouses. Three cottages, built in 1815, in lieu of three old ones, and occupied by three poor widows, who divide among them an ancient stipend of £2 per annum.
Thomas Martin's charity, by will, dated 17th January 1688. Rent-charge of £20 a year, for apprenticing three, four, or five poor boys to trades. Nominees : the mayor and Vicar.
Jane Ellerker's charity, by deed, dated 10th February 1736. Rent of two cottages and a close of land, for six, seven, or eight poor housekeepers at Christmas every year. The rents, at the time of the Report, amounted to £16. 16s. per annum.
Quintin Kay's charity, by will, dated 10th March 1804. Dividends of £2,150 three per cent. consols, and £6,000 three-and-a-half per cents. £2. 2s. a year, for a sermon on the first Sunday in September, on the tendency of religion to promote diligence in business ; £5 per annum in bread ; £60 per annum in apprenticing six poor children ; £3. 3s. per annum to the Dispensary ; £10 per annum to the town-clerk, for keeping the accounts ; and the residue to be expended in payments to poor persons, of the age of 50 years, of £1. 1s. a-piece on the first Saturday in every month. Trustees: the corporation of Doncaster.
John Jarratt's charity, by bond, dated 9th May 1821. 30s. a month to each of six poor, reduced, or decayed persons, whether male or female, being of the age of fifty years or upwards, and residing in Doncaster ; and £2 per annum to the parish officers, to be laid out in bread.
Cartwright's, alias Vicars's, charity, vide General Charities. Four poor persons receive yearly pensions of 13s. 4d. under this charity.
William Bradford's charity, by will, dated 5th February 1619. Legacy of £20, to be employed by the churchwardens and overseers towards the perpetual relief of the poor. This charity appears to have been lost. -Vide 18th Report, page 609.
The free Chapel of St. James, in this town, was valued, at the Dissolution, at £1. 14s. 4d. per annum.
A post town.
Torre's MS., page 937. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. 1. page 221. Bodleian MS., No. 5,101 Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. i. page 1. Miller's Doncaster. Nonae Roll, page 209. Mon. Ang. vol. iii. pages 533. 572, and vol. ii. pages 780. 1544.
*1 Viz. Doncaster, 10,801 ; Balby with Hexthorpe, 420; Langthwaite with Tilts, 28 ; and Long Sandall with Wheatley, 323. -The parish of Doncaster is partly in the north division of Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake.