Hide

DONCASTER: Doncaster Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

DONCASTER.
(PRESBYTERIAN.)

This church was probably originated about 1640, though Doncaster was not favourable for Nonconformity. At least, at this time a meeting-house was built. The first minister was Rev. SAMUEL CROMPTON, son of John Crompton, an ejected minister, born 1654, assistant afterwards to a congregation in Derbyshire, then married to a lady near Doncaster, in consequence of which connection he was invited to become pastor of the people there. Up to that time there was no chapel or suitable place for divine worship. Mr. Crompton fitted up two rooms in his own house, and his congregation was about 60. The severities which in his time were inflicted upon Nonconformists produced on Mr. Crompton's mind the conviction that such practices were incompatible with personal religion. He died, Jan. 24, 1734, and was buried in Doncaster Church. He was succeeded by:
  • Rev. LAURENCE HOLDEN, till 1750, when he removed to Maldon, Essex.
  • Rev. -- DAVIES succeeded.
  • Then Rev. JAMES NEILE became pastor.
  • Afterwards, Rev. -- SKIRVEN,
  • then Rev. ANDREW SCOTT, 1770, a man of blameless life, who died Sept. 27, 1799, aet. 57, and was buried in the churchyard. In 1794, he was on the Hewley List.
  • 1800. Rev. RICHARD HODSON (from Nantwich), till 1816. At this time Doncaster was united to Long Houghton.
  • 1817. Rev. JOHN PLATTS. The congregation had now become entirely Unitarian.
  • Thomas Hollis, jun., Esq., left money for the support of this chapel, and for the payment of a schoolmaster.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.