[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"DRAX, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Barkston-Ash; 4 miles N. of Snaith, 7 from Selby, 14 from Pontefract, 22 from York. Pop. 370. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Peter (see Churches
for photograph), in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, ~£4. p.r. !£88. Patron, the King.
The Free Grammar School at Drax was founded in 1667, by Charles Read, Gentleman, of Darleton, in the county of Nottingham, who was born in this parish. He erected a school House and dwelling for a master, as also six alms Houses, in the town and parish of Drax; and designed the same school House for a free school and a master for ever, to teach the youth of the parish to read write, accompt, and also Latin, Greek, and Hebrew. The original endowment was £30. per annum to the master, which yet remains the same, but an advance of salary is expected to take place. "If any of the boys he deemed fit for the University, they shall be sent to either Cambridge or Oxford." --Carlisles Gram. Schools."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Baxter Hall
- Botany Bay Inn
- Chester Court
- Drax Abbey
- Drax Hales
- Little Airmyn
- Long Drax
- North Lane House
- Sail Hill
- Scurf Hall
- Wren Hall
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]