DRAX: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"DRAX, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Camblesforth, Drax, Long Drax, and Newland, and containing 1083 inhabitants, of which number, 370 are in the township of Drax, 4 miles N.N.E. from Snaith. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £4, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £1600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The free grammar school was erected in 1669, by Charles Reed, Esq., and endowed by him with £2000, for teaching all the poor children of the parish, and for occasionally putting out apprentices; he farther directed, should any be found capable, that they were to be sent to one of the Universities. He also erected six almshouses, to be kept in repair from the same fund, for three aged persons of each sex. This benefactor when an infant, was discovered lying among some reeds, and was, from that circumstance, named Reed; having been brought up by the parish, he was put to the sea service at the age of sixteen, and after fifty years absence returned opulent, and testified his gratitude to his preservers by the above benevolent acts."
"CAMBLESFORTH, a township in the parish of DRAX, lower division, of the wapentake of BARKSTONEASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N. from Snaith, containing 257 inhabitants. There is a charity school in this township, with a small endowment; besides almshouses for six poor people, endowed with £100 per annum. The poor children also participate in the advantages of the free grammar school at Drax, liberally endowed by Mr. Charles Reed, in 1669."
"LONG DRAX, a township in the parish of DRAX, lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.E. from Snaith, containing 187 inhabitants. A priory of Black canons was founded in the time of Henry I., by William Paynell, to the honour of St. Nicholas, the annual revenue of which, at the dissolution, was valued at £121. 18. 3."
"NEWLAND, a township in the parish of DRAX, lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E.N.E. from Snaith, containing 269 inhabitants. Charles. Read, in 1669, bequeathed land and £2000, directing the income to be applied for teaching all the poor children of the parish, and for the clothing and maintenance of six poor people and six boys of the parish of, Drax."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]