DRAX: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"DRAX, a parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, by the Ouse, a little to the S. E. of Barnesley, where was anciently a castle and a mon. Here is an hos. and a schoolhouse, erected by Charles Read, Esq; a native of this place, and a judge of Ireland, which he endowed also with 300 l. a year."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]