Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: EAST ARDSLEY. Church dedication: SAINT MICHAEL. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Area, 1,630 acres. Agbrigg wapentake, L.D. - Population, 853 *1; Church-room, 500; Net value, £369.
Patron, the Earl of Cardigan.
In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 321, it is stated: "The Rectory is the inheritance of the Lord Sa ville. The Church is without a minister and maintenance, and so has been vacant for six years last past."
Augmented in 1721 with £200, to meet a benefaction from Messrs. Copley and Hodgson, of lands worth £10 per annum.
An Inclosure Act was passed 7th Geo. IV.
No glebe house.
A brief was granted in 1762 for this Church.
22nd October 1784, faculty to rebuild part of the Church.
The Register Books commence in 1663.
Thomas Lee's charity, by deed, dated 4th June 1668. Rent charge of 20s. to the poor, payable on St. Andrew's-day.
Poor's estate. Three cottages and half an acre of land. -Vide 16th Report, page 405.
Post town: Wakefield.
Abp. Sharp's MS., page 178. Scatcherd's Morley, page 203.
*1 In East and West Ardsley 62 and 64 males. 20 years of age, are respectively employed in coal-mines.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.