EAST ARDSLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"EAST ARDSLEY, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N. of Wakefield. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £369, in the patronage of the Earl of Cardigan. There is a small free school. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the coal mines and in the weaving of woollens. Coal is abundant, and the mines have been long worked."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013