The Ancient Parish of EAST MARTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"EAST MARTON, (or Church Marton or sometimes Marton in Craven), a parish-town, in the east division and liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles from Skipton, 7¾ from Colne, (Lanc.), 11 from Settle. Pop. including West Marton, 382, which, being united, form the township, usually denominated Martons, both. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Peter, in the deanry of Craven, value, £14. 4s. 4½d. p.r. £150. Patroness, Mrs. Heber."
"GLEDSTON HOUSE, (the seat of Richard Roundell, Esq.) in the township of East and West Marton, and parish of East Marton, liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles from Skipton, 5½ from Keighley, 8 from Colne, (Lanc.) 11 from Settle."
"INGTHORPE GRANGE, (the seat of J. Baldwin, Esq.) in the township of East and West Marton, and parish of East Marton; 6 miles from Skipton.
Ingthorpe, now Ingthorpe Grange, was a Grange to Bolton Priory, and having been granted to the first Earl of Cumberland, in 1542, was sold by his grandson to the Baldwyns, in which family it still continues. Here the Canons seem to have had a small Cell and Chapel; for a Basso Relievo, in white marble, was found here some years ago; the subject of which seems to have been the apprehension of Christ, and Peter drawing his sword. --Whitaker's Craven."
"MARTON SCAR, a farm-house in the township of Martons, both, and parish of East Marton, liberty of Staincliffe; 7½ miles from Skipton, 8 from Colne, (Lanc.)"
"SKELDA, a farm-house in the township and parish of East Marton, liberty of Staincliffe; 8 miles W. of Skipton."
"WEST MARTON, in the township of Martons, both, and parish of East Marton, liberty of Staincliffe; (Marton Hall, the seat of Mrs. Heber) 6½ miles from Skipton, 7¾ from Colne, (Lanc.) 11 from Settle. Pop. included in East Marton.
Marton Hall stands low and warm, and is embossomed in wood. It is a respectable old family Mansion, and has been the residence of the Hebers for many generations.
Here, in 1728, Reginald Heber, an amiable and learned clergyman, was born. He published, without his name, "an Elegy, written amongst the tombs in Westminster Abbey." The lines are moral, plaintive, and religious. He died in 1804."
- Transcript of the entry for East Marton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of East Marton.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from East Marton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD906510 (Lat/Lon: 53.955006, -2.144732), East Marton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- Try the Lancashire FHHS
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.