Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: BOLSTERSTONE. Church dedication: CHAPEL.
Area, vide Ecclesfield. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, N.D. -Population, 830, vide Ecclesfield ; Chapel-room, 420 *1; Net value, £119.
Patron, J. Remmington, Esq., as lord of the manor. Founded by Sir Robert de Rockley in 1412.
Valued in 1707, at £7. 14s. 7d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 428, it is stated: " No maintenance for a minister. About 90 families. To be made a parish Church."
Augmented in 1721, with £200, to meet benefaction ; and, in 1810, with £200 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.
16th December 1790, a faculty was granted to take down and rebuild the Chapel.
30th July 1795, the new Chapel was consecrated, and also an additional burial-ground.
An Inclosure Act was passed 18th Geo. III.
Mr. Hunter gives a catalogue of the Curates, and some account of the income.
A parochial library was founded by the Hon. Thomas W. Wentworth.
The glebe house is unfit for residence. The Registers, for baptisms and burials, commence in 1772.
School, founded under the will of Ralph Ellis, of York, dated 3rd January 1622, and augmented by the will of John Hodgkinson. dated 15th January 1780. Income : interest of £150 on note, and dividends of £1,366. 13s. 4d. three per cents. (subject to the payment thereout of £1 per annum to the poor). All the children of the chapelry who choose to apply are instructed in reading, writing, and accounts. The average number of scholars is between 30 and 40.
Feofee Estate, vide Bradfield.
The Rev. Thomas Bland's gift, who died in 1818. 20s. a year to the poor not receiving parochial relief, and not being of the sect called Methodists. To be given at the discretion of the minister and the proprietor of the Yew Trees Farm every Christmas. - Vide 19th Report, page 563.
There is a manor court at Townend, in Bolsterstone, which claims the right of proving wills, and granting letters of administration, but no return has yet been received relative to it.
Post town: Barnsley.
Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 309. Hunter's Hallamshire, page 280. Thoresby's Ducatus, page 241. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 196.
*1 In 1818, the Chapel-room was returned at 550.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.