Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: ECCLESFIELD.     Church dedication: ST. JOHN BAPTIST.     Church type: Vicarage in charge.

Area, 43,540 acres. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, N.D. -Population, 13,415 *1; Church-room, 1,500 *2; Net value, £573. -This Church was given and appropriated to the Abbey of St. Wandrille, in Normandy, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 7th Id. December, A.D. 1310; but in 9th Richard II., 1386, it was taken from it, and given to the Priory of St. Anne juxta Corintre.

T. Ryder, Esq., is the present patron.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £116. 13s. 4d. In the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £19. 3s. 4d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 426, at £95 per annum.

Augmented in 1720 with £200, to meet benefactions of £50 from Lord Bruce, £50 from Lady Dorothy Saville, £50 from Lady Mary Saville, and a legacy of £50 from the Rev. Mr. Turey.

A decree in the Exchequer, in Hilary Term, 8th William III., as to tithes, is unreported.

Inclosure Acts were passed 24th Geo. III., 51st Geo. III., and 55th Geo. III. (Wisewood Common.)

For the arms, &c., vide Hunter's Hallamshire, where there is also a catalogue of the Vicars.

11th July 1823, faculty to re-pew the Church and erect new galleries.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

A mortgage of £1,200 under Gilbert's Act will cease in 1843.

The Register Books commence in 1620, but they are much torn and defaced till 1742, and marriages deficient from 1754 to 1769. -Vide transcripts at York.

Edward Sylvester's Hospital, founded about 1693, for seven poor men or women, to be chosen by the Vicar and churchwardens out of the parish, with a preference to those residing on the north side of the parish, each to be paid £3 annually. The income arises from the rent of 65a. 3r. 19p. of land; interest of £200, left by Mrs. Ann Reresby, by will, dated 29th June 1801, on an augmentation ; and the interest of £35 taken by the parish ; and, after deducting the expense of repairs, &c., the whole is annually divided among the seven inmates.

George Bamforth's six tenements, for three poor persons of Owleston, and three of Ecclesfield.

Ann Sylvester's gift, by will, dated in 1711. Rent of a farm, with house, barn, &c., let, at the time of the Report, for £36 per annum. One-fourth for teaching poor children belonging to Chapel Town, Mortomley, Lane End, and Burnt Cross ; half to be distributed among poor housekeepers within Grenafirth quarter ; and the remaining fourth in apprenticing poor children of the same quarter, at the discretion of the Vicar.

William Parkin's gift, by will, in 1757. Interest of £50, for teaching six poor children of Mortomley and Mortomley Lane End.

Rev. Robert Turie's gift. House, buildings, and croft, situate at Wadsley Bridge, purchased with £80 given about 1720, for teaching twelve poor children of the soke of Southey ; six of them at Parson's Cross school, and six at Shire Green school, at the nomination of the Vicar.

Joseph Dungworth's gift, by will, dated 8th April 1800. Interest of £50, for educating six poor children.

Grenoside School, originally established by the inhabitants. The endowment consists of a school-room, tenement, with garden, and three crofts ; annual payment of £5. 17s. out of the poor-rates, being the interest of £100, given by Nicholas Gill, in 1735, for teaching six poor children ; and £30, given by Richard and Martha Carr, for teaching poor children; which sums were applied for the use of the parishioners ; the yearly rent-charge of 26s., given by Mrs. Sarah Smith, in 1773. for teaching poor children ; rent-charge of £10 per annum, given by William Walker, Esq. Twenty children are taught by the master reading, writing, and arithmetic.

Ann Reresby's gift, by will, dated 23rd June 1801. Interest of £500, for educating thirty poor girls within High Green, Thompson Hill, Potter Hill, and Mortomley, in such manner as the trustees shall think proper.

Feoffee Estate. This property has been from ancient times vested in feoffees, and appropriated to the maintenance of divine service in the parish Church, the relief of the poor, the repairs of the Church and its ornaments, the reparation of highways and bridges in the parish, and such other necessary and charitable uses as to the feoffees should seem meet. Eighteen poor children are taught reading, writing, and arithmetic. The estate consists of 68a. 0r. 26p. and the site of eight houses, let, at the time of the Report, for £1361. 0s. 6d., and a rent-charge of £5.

Poor's Land. 12a. 0r. 20p., purchased, in 1680, with £100 given by William Shirecliffe ; £40 by Margaret Shirecliffe ; and £5 by the feoffees. Rent distributed at Christmas among the poor.

Doles, given annually among the poor at Easter. -Rev. John Tyas's rentcharge by deed, in 1584, 14s.; Edward Scott's, by will, dated 15th November 1602, 6s. 8d.; Ralph Hadfield's, by will, in 1625, £1. 8s.; John Shaw's, by will, dated 27th December 1629, £4 ; Mrs. Creswick's, by will, dated 9th July 1706, £1.

Sundry benefactions. Interest of £180, laid out in building a workhouse ; £8. 2s. paid out of the poor's rate.

Lady Trott Mallory's charity. Rent amounting at the time of the Report, to £13. 13s.

Building Lease. Rent £3. 10s. per annum.

Bread Money. Interest of £130, arising from sundry benefactions, paid out of the poor's rate. The principal was applied towards building the poor-house.

Barries Hall Hospital, founded under the will of Sir Richard Scott, Knight, dated 6th April 1668, for six poor people. The heirs of Richard Watts are special visitors. -Vide 21st Report, page 612.

Post town: Sheffield.

Torre's MS., page 1,119. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 261. Wood's Bodleian MS., No. 5,101. Nonae Roll, page 223. Mon. Ang., vol. vi. pages 15, 16. 19. Hunter's Hallamshire, page 255.

*1 Viz. Bradfield, 5,504; Ecclesfield, 7,911 ; and Aldeward, Population not separately returned. The township of Aldeward heretofore made a distinct return.

*2 Stated, in 1818, at 2,100. 397 additional sittings (of which 200 are free) have been obtained, towards which the Society made a grant of £200.

From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.