Hide

ECCLESFIELD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.

hide
Hide
Hide

"ECCLESFIELD, (given as "ECKLESFIELD") a parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, near Sheffield, is so large a parish that the Don passeth through it at some distance from the T. After being the Lp. of the Viponts, Lovetots, Furnivals, Nevils, and Talbots, it passed to the Howards, and is now the D. of Norfolk's. Near Barneshall in this place, which was anciently the seat of Sir Richard Scot, he built an hos. and endowed it with 30 l. a year."


"ALDWARKE, in the parish of Ecclesfield, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, near Doncaster and Rotheram. It is in the parish of Ecklesfield, though 'tis 4 m. from it, and quite separated by other intervening ps. Fran. Foljambe, Esq; Ld. of the manor, built a handsome house here, fronted with Roch Abbey stone, which has fine gardens descending to the r. Dun."


"WADDESLEY, in the parish of Ecclesfield, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, to the N. W. of Sheffield, has a bridge over the Dun, and a forge for making of iron."


"WINCO BANK, in the parish of Ecclesfield, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the N. side of the Don, over-against Templebrough, is a hill, from whence a bank is continued for near 5 m. without interruption."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]