Hide

STOCKSBRIDGE: Stocksbridge Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

STOCKSBRIDGE.
(CONGREGATIONAL.)

The chapel at Stocksbridge was built in the year 1819, at a cost of £700.

The list of pastors is-

  • 1847. Rev. G. S. SPENCER. He removed to Wotton-under-edge 1851.
  • 1853. Rev. GEORGE THOMAS (Pickering). He left in 1856 for Usk, Monmouthshire.
  • 1857. Rev. HENRY ROBERTSHAW (Airedale Coll.) the present minister (in 1868).
A new school-room has been erected by the liberality of -- Fox, Esq., at an expense of nearly £1000. Another chapel has been opened in Stocksbridge. The division, it is hoped, will not be of permanent duration.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.