[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"EDLINGTON, (now Old Edlington -2001) a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 4½ miles SSW. of Doncaster, 8½ from Rotherham, 41 from York. Pop. 141. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Peter, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, ~£9. p.r. £130. Patron, Lord Molesworth.
Here are some remains of an ancient residence, supposed, by Mr. Beckwith, to be that of Athlane, the Dane, the place being originally called Athlane town."
"BROOM HOUSE, a farm-house in the township and parish of Edlington; 4 miles from Doncaster."
"COCKHILL HOUSE, a farm-house in the township and parish of Edlington; 6 miles from Doncaster, 7 from Rotherham."
"CROOK HALL, (the seat of John E. Woodyear, Esq.) in the township of Conisbrough, and parish of Edlington; 5 miles from Doncaster, 5 from Rotherham."
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St Peter's Church, Old Edlington.
- St. John the Baptist's Church, New Edlington.
- The Methodist Church, New Edlington.
- The Greek Orthodox Church of St. Columba and Kentigern, New Edlington.
- Warmsworth and Edlington National Spiritualist Church, New Edlington.
- Transcript of the entry for Edlington in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Edlington.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Edlington to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK533972 (Lat/Lon: 53.468848, -1.198545), Edlington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SK540985) New Edlington
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.