EDLINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"EDLINGTON, a parish in the S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Doncaster, and 7 N.E. of Rotherham, its post town. The Conisbrough station on the Doncaster and Sheffield branch of the Midland railway is about 2 miles to the N. of the village, which is very small. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York, value £260. The church is an ancient stone structure with a square tower and three very handsome stained-glass windows. It contains a very old font and register chest, and is dedicated to St. Peter. The nave is separated from the chancel by a fine Norman arch. Edlington Wood, consisting of more than 400 acres, mostly covered with wood, and in which are some remains of an entrenched camp, called Double Dykes, and of a stone fort called Blow Hall, is the property of Earl Fitzwilliam. It has recently been divided into several portions by roads, all meeting in the centre. W. B. Wrightson, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013