The Ancient Parish of EMLEY
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"EMLEY, a parish-town in Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 7 miles ESE. of Huddersfield, 8½ from Wakefield, 9 from Barnsley, 36 from York. Pop. 1,351. The Church is a rectory in charge, dedicated, to St. Michael (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Pontefract value, £14. 0s. 7½d. Patron, the Hon. and Rev. J. Lumley Saville.
Here is a public school built by a Mr. Wigglesworth, to the master of which, The Hon. and Rev. J.L. Saville, gives £8. per annum, likewise £10. per annum is payable out of a close, called Honley Wood, in Flockton."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Emley in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Emley.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Emley to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE242130 (Lat/Lon: 53.612996, -1.635682), Emley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE234138) Crawshaw
- (SE227128) Moor Head
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.