Hide

EXTRAPAROCHIAL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"EXTRAPAROCHIAL, a parish, to generate this page."


"BEDDERN, an extra-parochial liberty in the West Riding of the county of York, forming part of the suburbs of the city, and the site of York Minster."


"BEILBY GRANGE, an extra-parochial liberty in the wapentake of Skyrack, West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles from Wetherby."


"HAVERAH PARK, an extra-parochial place in the lower division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Ripley."


"HAZLEWOOD, an extra-parochial place in the upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone Ash, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Tadcaster. There is a place of worship for Roman Catholics at Hazlewood Hall."


"MARKINGFIELD, an extra-parochial place, in the liberty of Ripon, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Ripon."


"MICKLETHWAITE GRANGE, an extra-parochial place in the upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, West Riding county York, half a mile S.W. of Wetherby."


"NEWLAND CUM WOODHOUSE MOOR, an extra-parochial place in the lower division of Agbrigg wapentake, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Wakefield. Here was formerly a preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers, founded in the reign of King John. Its revenues were returned at the Dissolution at £202 3s. 8d. Courts leet and baron are annually held in the village, which now consists of a few farmhouses. The old chapel, which stood near the mansion-house, was taken down at the end of the last century."


"OCCANEY, an extra-parochial place in the upper division of Claro wapentake, West Riding county York, 3 miles N. of Knaresborough. It is in conjunction with Walkingham Hill."


"PONTEFRACT PARK, an extra-parochial place in the upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, West Riding county York, 1 mile N. of Pontefract."


"SAWLEY WITH TOSSIDE, an extra-parochial place in the W. division of Staincliffe wapentake, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Clitheroe. It is situated on the river Ribble. Here are the ruins of a Cistercian abbey, founded by William de Percy in 1147, and the revenue of which at the Dissolution was estimated at £221 15s. 8d. The site and ruins are now the property of the Earl de Grey and Ripon. The gate-house has been converted into a cottage."


"STOTFOLD, an extra-parochial place in the S. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Doncaster."


"TOSSIDE, (or Houghton Chapel), an extra-parochial place in the W. division of Staincliff wapentake, West Riding county York, 7 miles S.W. of Settle, its post town, and 11 N. of Clitheroe. It is situated on a branch of the river Ribble, and is joined with Sawley. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £90, in the patronage of the Vicar of Gisburn. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew."


"TOSSIDE ROW, an extra-parochial place in the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 8 miles S. of Settle."


"WALKINGHAM HILL, an extra-parochial place in the upper division of Claro wapentake, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Knaresborough, and 6½ S. of Ripon. It consists of two farms and a rabbit-warren."


"WOODHOUSE MOOR, an extra-parochial place in the lower division of Agbrigg wapentake, West Riding county York, adjoining the parish of Normanton."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013