Hide

FEATHERSTONE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"FEATHERSTONE, a parish comprising the townships of Ackton and Whitwood, in the lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, and the townships of Featherstone and Peerston-Jaglin, in the upper division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, and containing 945 inhabitants, of which number, 337 are in the township of Feathcrstone, 3 miles W. from Pontefract. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £5. 8. 6., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Chritt Church, Oxford. The church is dedicated to All Saints."


"ACKTON, a township in that part of the parish of FEATHERSTONE, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles W. from Pontefract, containing 72 inhabitants."


"PURSTON JAGLIN, a township in that part of the parish of FEATHERSTONE, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, Similes S.W. from Pontefract, containing 244 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"WHITWOOD, a township in that part of the parish of FEATHERSTONE, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W.N.W. from Pontefract, containing 292 inhabitants. There is an extensive manufacture of earthenware at Mere pottery in this township."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]