Area, 2,850 acres. Osgoldcross wapentake, U. D. - Population, 833 *1 ; Church-room, 350; Net value, £224. -This Church was given to the Vicars Choral of York Minster, by Sir Henry Vavasour, knight, and appropriated to their College, and a Vicarage ordained therein 10th March, A.D. 1332.
Patrons and impropriators, the SubChanter and Vicars Choral of York.
A Chantry at Ferrybridge was founded 10th Kal. Mar. 1332, by Archbishop Walter Grey.
Archbishop Sharp says there was formerly a Chapel of ease at Queldale, and which is also named in the endowment.
Valued, in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £20 per annum, and the Vicarage in the King's books at £5. 19s. 2d. per annum. Synodals, 5s. Procurations, 7s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 398, it is stated: " Vicarage £6. 4s. per annum. The whole town of Ferrybriggs, except Bubwith houses, to be taken from Pontefract parish and annexed to the parish of Ferry Fryston."
" The tithes are impropriated to the Vicars Choral of York. It is endowed with petty tithes, to the value of £4. 5s. per annum, excepting wool. Annual value of the Vicarage under £20 per annum." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1,150.
Torre gives a list of the Vicars.
Augmented in 1726 with £200, to meet benefaction of lands worth £200 from Lady Elizabeth Hastings.
Inclosure Acts were passed 1st and 2nd Wm. IV.
A battle was fought here during the contest between the houses of York and Lancaster.
The glebe house is unfit for residence.
The Register books commence in 1560. Chasm, 1664 to 1673.
Robert Clarkson's charity, by will, dated 28th March 1699. Almshouses for four poor widows, nominated by the proprietors of an estate at Sutton, called Bradleys, which is charged with a payment to them of £10 per annum.
John Bywater, by will, dated 16th July 1687, left a close containing 1a. 2r. 38p. to the poor, subject to a rent-charge of 10s. to the Vicar.
Robert Turton, by will, dated 4th July 1727, left an acre of meadow to the poor, subject to a rent-charge of 10s. per annum. -Vide 15th Report, page 645.
Post town: Ferrybridge.
Vid. Torre's MS. page 695. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 160. Nonae Roll, page 225.
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 887.