Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: FEWSTON.     Church dedication: ST. MARY MAGDALENE.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 16,660 acres. Claro wapentake, L.D. -Population, 2,035 *2; Church-room, 700 *3; Net value, £144. -This Church was appropriated to the House at Knaresborough, 19th June 1351, and again in 1381, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 3d February 1351; and on 18th May 1381, a new ordination was made. Patron, the Lord Chancellor.

Impropriators, the representatives of the late T. Shann and J. Smith.

In Pope Nicholas's first Taxation, the Church is valued at £20; in his new, at £6. 13s. 4d.; and in the King's Books the Vicarage is valued at £5 per annum.

In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 173, glebe lands £10. Stipend paid by the impropriator, £5.

The Vicarage was augmented in 1803 with £200 by lot.

A pension of £5 per annum was paid by the House of St. Robert to the Vicar.

There was a decree in the Exchequer, in Hilary Term, 35th Chas. II. but which is unreported.

There is a glebe house fit for residence.

Torre gives a close catalogue of the Vicars to 1632.

The Register Books commence in 1504. Deficient as to marriages for 1635 and 1636.

Charities:
Paley's dole. 8s. per annum.

Rodilholme rent-charge. 2s. per annum.

Chapel land. Rent of cottage paid to the Curate, after deducting 5s. for the poor.

Poor's land. 1a. 1r.

Rent-charge. 12s. per annum.

Timble School land. 2a. 1r. 5p. of land. No school existing.

Norwood with Clifton poor's estates. 19a. 3r. 36p. of land.

Clifton School. Interest of £24. Eight free scholars, taught reading and the Church Catechism. -Vide 6th Report, page 638.

Post town: Otley.


References:
Vid. Torre's MS. page 206. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 83.


Notes:
*1 Or Foston or Fuiston.

*2 Viz. Blubberhouses, 118; Clifton with Norwood, 415; Fuiston, 683; Thurcross, 601; Great Timble, 218. In 1834, the Population was returned at 2,065.

*3 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 1,000.


Other information:
MAGNA KELKS. -The endowment of Fuiston mentions a Chapel at this place.

THRUSCROSS. -" There is a Chapel supplied by a preaching minister, who hath no maintenance but a voluntary contribution ; which Chapel we think should be made a parish Church."

Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 173.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.