FINNINGLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"FINNINGLEY, a parish, partly in the Hatfield division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, county Nottingham, and partly in the soke of Doncaster, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Bawtry, its post town, and 6 S.E. of Doncaster. The parish includes the townships of Auckley and Blaxton. The river Idle runs through the parish. The village is large, but irregularly built. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lincoln, value £600. The church is dedicated to St. Oswald: the tower is square, with crocketed pinnacles. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel, and there is a National school. There are small charities producing about £5 a year. Finningley Hall is the principal residence. J. Harvey, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"AUCKLEY, a township in the parish of Finningley, partly in the wapentake of Bassetlaw, in the county of Nottingham, partly in Doncaster Soke, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the E. of Doncaster."
"BLAXTON, (or Blakestone), a township in the parish of Finningley, and soke of Doncaster, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the E. of Doncaster."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013