The Ancient Parish of FIRBECK
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"FIRBECK, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberties of St. Peter and Tickhill; (Firbeck Hall, the seat of John Gally Knight, Esq.) 4 miles S. of Tickhill, 6 from Worksop, (Notts.) 7½ from Bawtry, 11 from Rotherham, 44 from York. Pop. 226. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Peter, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, p.r. £41. Patron, the Chancellor of St. Peters, York. This church was rebuilt on the site of the old one, in 1820 1, by Mrs. Gally Knight."
"CUCKOLDS HAVEN, a farm-house in the township and parish of Firbeck; 4 miles S. of Tickhill."
"PARK HILL, (the seat of A.B. St. Ledger, Esq.) in the township and parish of Firbeck, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 4 miles S. of Tickhill, 6 from Worksop, (Notts.)"
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- The following items are transcriptions by Jack Parry of transcriptions originally done in 1988 by Wath and Mexborough Archives. These documents have many typographical errors and so we cannot vouch for the accuracy in the original transcription.
- Transcript of the entry for Firbeck in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The following transcriptions are transcriptions of transcriptions originally done in 1988 by Wath and Mexborough Archives. These documents have many typographical errors and so we cannot vouch for the accuracy in the original transcription. If you find anything of interest here, please be sure to check the original Parish Registers source material.
Transcriptions by Jack Parry of:
- The Baptism Registers for Firbeck Parish:
- The Marriage Registers for Firbeck Parish:
- The Burial Registers for Firbeck Parish:
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Firbeck.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Firbeck to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK562883 (Lat/Lon: 53.388558, -1.156448), Firbeck which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.