"FISHLAKE, a parish in the S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 2 miles W. of Thorne, and 8 N.E. of Doncaster, its post town. It is situated on the river Don, and includes the townships of Fishlake, Fosterhouses, Hay Green, and Sykehouse. The soil is a strong loam, producing good wheat crops. The lands, which were anciently subject to inundation by the overflow of the Dutch river, which lies to the S.E., are protected by an embankment constructed by Cornelius Vermuyden in 1600. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £200, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, is a stone structure, with porch of Norman design, and a lofty square tower with battlements: it has a handsome font. There is also a district church at Sykehouse, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £100, in the gift of the vicar. The parochial charities produce about £70 per annum. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels. There is a free school, having an endowment of upwards of £100 per annum. The tithes have been commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act obtained in 1811."
"FOSTERHOUSES, a village in the township and parish of Fishlake, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Thorpe."
"HAY GREEN, a village in the township and parish of Fishlake, West Riding county York, 2 miles W. of Thorpe."
"SYKEHOUSE, a chapelry in the parish of Fishlake, S. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 4½ miles from Snaith, its post town, and 4 N.W. of Thorne. The village is situated near the river Wente, or Don, and on the Goole canal. The township includes plots of land awarded to it on the enclosure of Hatfield Chase and Thorpe Common. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £100, in the patronage of the Vicar of Fishlake. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is built of stone with a tower of brick, added in 1724. The parochial charities produce about £22 per annum, of which £3 go to a school. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel."