Frickley With Clayton
The Ancient Parish of FRICKLEY WITH CLAYTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"FRICKLEY WITH CLAYTON, a parish in the liberty of Pontefract; 7 miles from Doncaster 9 from Barnsley."
"CLAYTON, in the township and parish of Frickley with Clayton, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 8 miles from Barnsley and Doncaster, 13 from Wakefield, 35 from York. Pop. including Frickley, 360, which being united, form a township. The Church, (styled Frickley with Clayton) is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to All-Saints, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, p.r. £120. Patron, Saint Andrew Warde, Esq."
"FRICKLEY, a hamlet in the township and parish of Frickley with Clayton, liberty of Pontefract; (Frickley Hall, the seat of Richard Kennet Dawson, Esq.) 7 miles from Doncaster, 9 from Barnsley, 13½ from Wakefield. Pop. included in Clayton. The Church, styled Frickley with Clayton, is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to All-Saints, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, p.r. £120. Patron, Saint Andrew Warde, Esq."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- All Saints' Church, Frickley.
- Transcript of the entry for Frickley with Clayton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The following transcription(s) are transcriptions of transcriptions originally done in 1988 by Wath and Mexborough Archives. These documents have many typographical errors and so we cannot vouch for the accuracy in the original transcription. If you find anything of interest here, please be sure to check the original Parish Registers source material.
Transcriptions by Jack Parry of:
- The Methodist Baptism Registers for Clayton: 1933-1959.
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Frickley with Clayton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Frickley With Clayton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE461078 (Lat/Lon: 53.564796, -1.305442), Frickley With Clayton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.