FRICKLEY WITH CLAYTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"FRICKLEY WITH CLAYTON, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Strafforth, in the West Riding of the county of York, 8 miles N.W. of Doncaster. Barnsley is its post town. Half the land is arable, and the soil a tenacious clay. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the perpetual curacy of Frickley, value together £73, in the patronage of S. A. Ward, Esq. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was built about 1100; it is of stone, in the Norman style of architecture. It is situated in the centre of a spacious green. The Wesleyans have an endowed chapel, and there are schools built by William Aldam, Esq., who resides at the handsome mansion of Frickley Hall. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1814."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013