GARFORTH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"GARFORTH, is a parish-town and village. The parish contains the hamlets of Moore Garforth and Church Garforth, situate from 3 to 4 miles from Aberford. At Church Garforth is an extensive colliery belonging to Richard Oliver Gascoigne, esq. who is constructing a railway from hence to communicate with the Aberford and Selby and Leeds railroads. The parish church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, is a small and neat building; the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Rev. John Whittaker. Here is a parochial school, partly free, for children of both sexes. West Garforth parish contained, by the last returns, 782 inhabitants.
Please see Aberford Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this parish."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]