Hide

GARFORTH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"GARFORTH, (or West Garforth), a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles E. from Leeds, containing 731 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £8.1?%. 8. The Rev. J. Whitaker was patron in 1797. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Here are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists. There is a small sum for the education of children j the school-house was erected by subscription in 18l8."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]