GARFORTH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"GARFORTH, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Skyrack, West Riding county York, 3 miles S. of Aberford, and 7 E. of Leeds, its post town. It includes the hamlets of Ansthorpe, East, West, Moor, and Church Garforth. It is a station on the Leeds and Milford Junction branch of the North-Eastern railway. The substratum is chiefly coal, with carboniferous limestone. In the cliffs many rare fossils have been found. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value £514. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a stone edifice of recent date, and has a handsome E. window of stained glass. The register commences in 1612. There are charities of about £3 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel with school attached, and there is a parochial school, also one for those employed in the coal mines of this district. F. C. T. Gascoigne, Esq., is lord of the manor. A Roman road is traceable through the parish."
"AUSTHORPE, a township in the parishes of Whitkirk and Garforth, lower division of the wapentake of Skyrack, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the E. of Leeds. Great and Little Mauston are hamlets of this township The Hull, Selby, and Milford Junction railway passes through it. The engineer, Smeaton, who erected the famous Eddystone lighthouse, was a native of Austhorpe (1724). Austhorpe Hall is the principal residence."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013