Hide

GARGRAVE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"GARGRAVE, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Skipton. It is situated on the river Aire, and is a post town and railway station on the Midland line. The Leeds and Liverpool canal passes near the village, which contains a large worsted and cotton mill. A bridge of three arches here crosses the river. The townships of Bank Newton, Cold Coniston, Eshton, and Flashby-with-Winterburn are included in this parish Many of the people are employed in cotton-spinning. The land is almost entirely meadow and pasture, with about 500 acres of wood, and half that extent of common. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £750. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient structure,- recently restored and beautified. There is also the district church of Cold Coniston, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £90. The register commences in 1557. The parochial endowments produce about £70 per annum, £15 being for education. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. There are National and infant schools. The Duke of Devonshire and Sir Richard Tufton are the lords of the manor. Gargrave House is the principal residence."


"BANK NEWTON, a township in the parish of Gargrave, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Skipton. It is situated near the Leeds canal."


"BELL BUSK, a hamlet in the parish of Gargrave, wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the W. of Skipton. It is a station on the Skipton, Settle, and Lancaster railway."


"COLD CONISTON, a township in the parish of Gargrave, eastern division of the wapentake of Staincliff, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles W. of Skipton, and near the Bellbusk station of the North-Western railway. It is situated on the river Aire. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £90, in the patronage of P. Garforth, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a modern atone edifice. There is a Church of England school, and Sunday schools for both sexes. The parochial charities produce about £22 10s. per annum. John W. Tottie, Esq., is lord of the manor."


"ESHTON, a township in the parish of Gargrave, E. division of the Staincliffe wapentake, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Skipton. The Leeds and Liverpool canal passes in the vicinity. Eshton Hall, a handsome building, is the principal residence. The surface is boldly undulating, and the land chiefly meadow and pasture."


"FLASBY WITH WINTERBURN, a township in the parish of Gargrave, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Skipton. The river Aire passes through the township Flashy Hall is the principal residence. Freestone is quarried."


"WINTERBURN, a township in the parish of Gargrave, E. division of Staincliffe wapentake, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Skipton. It is joined to Flasby."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013