WINTERBURN: Winterburn Congregational Church History up to 1868.
The chapel here is of considerable antiquity. During Oliver Heywood's time a congregation assembled at the houses of John Hey and Richard Mitchell, of which O. H.'s memoirs make frequent mention. The first Yorkshire Nonconformist ordination was held here, 1677. Subsequently John Heywood was ordained here, Aug. 23, 1681, and preached in the neighbourhood for some little time during two periods. The Rev. JOHN Isorr, m ho had been a pupil and assistant of Frankland, was the first pastor.
A building for worship was erected here by Mrs. Lambert. She was one of the Asshetons of Arnoldsbiggin, now Gisburnpark. She was married* to John Lambert, Esq. (son of Major-General Lambert), a gentleman of elegant tastes and good education. His family seat was at the village of Calton, near by, where his father had resided. It was a handsome structure, but was burned in his lifetime and replaced by a very plain erection. Mrs. Lambert was a zealous Presbyterian, and the chapel at Winterburn was erected as a place of worship for the miners on the estate. It was in this neighbourhood (Calton) that Oliver Heywood preached some of his earliest sermons. An endowment was left to Horton by Mrs. L. for the purpose of maintaining preaching at Winterburn, but was subsequently misappropriated. (See HORTON.)
The chapel is still standing. It was repaired, 1862. Services have been since that time held in connexion with the West Riding Home Missionary Society.
* According to Whitaker, this lady was twice married. Craven, p. 182.
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.