In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Gargrave:
"BANK NEWTON, in the parish of Gargrave, east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles W. of Skipton, 9 from Colne, (Lanc.) 11 from Settle. Pop. 139.
The Mansion of the Cattertons, who had lands here in the 31st of Edward III. remains nearly entire; and immediately adjoining to it, on the north east, is a little Chantry, now an out House in the garden, adjoining to which, many bones are said to have been dug up. From the shape of one of the windows, yet remaining, one would conjecture this humble foundation to be as old as the Cattertons.
Bank Newton, has its name from the family of Banks, who held the manor more than three centuries, but more anciently Cold Newton, from its exposed situation. --Whitaker's Craven."
"BELL BUSK, a hamlet in the township of Cold Coniston, and parish of Gargrave, liberty of Staincliffe; 8 miles NW. of Skipton."
"BRAYSTAY WOOD, a farm-house in the township of Winterburne, and parish of Gargrave; 7 miles from Skipton, 9 from Settle."
"CONISTON COLD, in the parish of Gargrave, east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; 6½ miles from Skipton, 9½ from Settle, 12 from Colne, (Lanc.) Pop. 345."
"ESHTON, in the parish of Gargrave, east-division of the wapentake of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; (Eshton Hall, the seat of Matthew Wilson, Esq.) 2 miles from Gargrave, 5 NW. of Skipton, 12 from Kettlewell. Pop. 69.
Near Eshton Hall is a Well, called St. Helens Well, which fills at its source a circular basin twenty feet in circumference, from the whole bottom of which it boils up, without any visible augmentation in the wettest season, or diminution in the driest. In hot weather the exhalations from its surface are very conspicuous. But the most remarkable thing about this spring is, that with no petrifying quality in its own basin, after a course of about 200 yards over a common pebbly channel, with no visible accession from any other course, it is precipitated down a steep descent into the brook, where it petrifies strongly. In 1551, the manor of Eshton was conveyed by Henry Marton and Launcelot his son, to George, Earl of Cumberland. In 1597 or 8, George, Earl of Cumberland, mortgaged this manor to Robert Bindloss, of Berwick Hall, for £2000. with a clause, that upon non payment of that sum in five years, the purchase should be absolute: it never was redeemed, and the Bindlosses held Eshton till the year 1648, when it was once more sold to Mr. John Wilson, of Threshfield, ancestor of the present possessors. --Whitaker's Craven."
"FLASBY, in the parish of Gargrave, east-division of the wapentake of Staincliffe; (Flasby Hall, the seat of Cooper Preston, Esq.) 2½ miles from Gargrave, 6 nw. of Skipton, 11 from Kettlewell. Pop. including Winterburn, 134, which being united, form a township."
"FRIARS HEAD, a farm-house in the township of Winterburn, and parish of Gargrave, liberty of Staincliffe; 6½ miles from Skipton."
"STAINTON COTES, a farm-house in the township of Bank Newton, and parish of Gargrave, liberty of Staincliffe; 7 miles W. of Skipton."
"WINTERBURN, in the township of Flasby with Winterburn, and parish of Gargrave, east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 7 miles NNW. of Skipton, 9 from Settle, 11 from Kettlewell. Pop. included in Flasby."