Area, 18,190 acres. Staincliffe wapentake, W.D. -Population, 2,306 *1; Church-room, 652 *2; Net value, £161. -This Church, which was endowed with one carucate of land, was appropriated to the nuns of Stansfield, who, by virtue of the Pope's indulgence, obtained the same to be converted to their own proper use, and a Vicarage ordained therein in 1332. At the Dissolution the patronage came to the Crown. The appropriation, by Archbishop Walter Gray, is given at length in the Mon. Ang.
Patron, the Lord Chancellor.
Impropriator, Lord Ribblesdale.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £46. 13s. 4d.; Nova tax £26; in the King's books at £11. 6s. 8d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. pages 30. 34, and vol. xviii. page 198, it is stated: " The Rectory belongs to the Archbishop. The Chancel is in great decay. Vicarage £50 per annum. Richard Shaw, the Vicar, pays a fifth of the income to the wife and children of Mr. Thomas Bullingham, late Vicar, a delinquent."
Augmented in 1824 with £200, from the Parliamentary grant, by lot ; and in 1828, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Lord Ribblesdale, the impropriator.
In Michaelmas Term, 7th Eliz. there was a decree in the Exchequer as to tithes, but which is unreported.
Dr. Whitaker gives a catalogue of the Rectors to 1338. That of the Vicars is brought no lower than 1686.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1561.
Free School. The Commissioners could not obtain any account of the origin of this school. Seven free scholars in reading, writing, and arithmetic, are sent by Lord Ribblesdale, and one by the Vicar. The income arises from the interest of £200, left by one William Stanley, and £20 left by Thomas Halstead.
Matthew Core's gift. Rent-charge of £2 per annum, to the poor of Grange Meer and Gisburne, and distributed among the poor on the 23rd December.
Christopher Browne's gift. 20s. per annum. Half to the poor of Gisburne, and half to those of Paythorne.
Thomas Halstead's gift, by will, dated 29th May 1729. Interest of £10 to the poor, on the 23rd December in every year.
James Ellil's gift, by will, dated 26th May 1731. Interest of £5, to be given at the church porch, on the 22nd December in every year.
William Tipping's charity, by will, dated 26th December 1772. Dividends of £800 three per cents. given annually amongst six poor inhabitants. The Vicar is ex officio one of the trustees. -Vide 13th Report, page 655.
Post town: Skipton.
Torre's MS., page 495. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. pages 132. 278. Whitaker's Craven, page 31. Mon. Angl. vol. iv. pages 308. 311.
*1 Viz. Gisburne, 607; Gisburne Forest, 400; Horton, 200; Middop, 62; Nappa, 43; Newsholme, 70; Paythorne, 187; Rimmington, 701 ; and Swinden, 36. In 1834, the Population was returned at 2,463.
*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 800.
SALLEY CISTERCIAN ABBEY. -(Parish of Gisburne.)-Founded about 1147, by William de Percy.
Whitaker's Craven, page 39.