Hide

GISBURN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.

hide
Hide
Hide

"GISBURN, (given as "GISBORN") a parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the b. of Lancashire, 160 cm. 189 mm. from London, bel. in the R. of Hen. III. to the Piercys Es. of Northumberland; one of whom gave it to the monks of Salley, together with the forest, on their paying 20 marks yearly. After this, Eleanor, the wife of another of those Es. had the perquisites of the court and chace here for part of her dower. The Mt. is on M. Tho. Lister, Esq; has a seat in the forest, near Colney."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]