The Ancient Parish of GOLDSBOROUGH
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"GOLDSBOROUGH, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Claro; 2½ miles SE. of Knaresborough, 6 from Wetherby and Boroughbridge, 16 from York. Pop. 195. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Boroughbridge, diocese of Chester, value £10. 1s. 0½d. Patron, the Earl of Harewood."
"CLARETON, 2 farm-houses in the parish of Goldsborough; 4 miles NE. of Knaresborough, 5 from Boroughbridge. Pop. 14."
"CONEYTHORPE, in the parish of Goldsborough, upper-division of Claro; 4 miles NE. of Knaresborough, 5 from Boroughbridge, 7 from Wetherby. Pop. 112. This place was formerly written Kingsthorpe."
"FLAXBY, in the parish of Goldsborough, upper-division of Claro; 3 miles E. of Knaresborough, 6 from Boroughbridge, 6¾ from Wetherby. Pop. 78.
At Flaxby is a school for boys and girls of the township, but by whom founded is not known. Lord Stourton, and the Rector of Goldsborough, have always acted as Trustees. It is endowed with a small estate at Norwood, in the parish of Fewston, of 15 acres, and an old house, in ruins. Rent £15. 10s. 0d. per ann. --Report of Commissioners."
- Here is a photograph of The Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Goldsborough.
- Transcript of the entry for Goldsborough in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Goldsborough.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Goldsborough to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE382562 (Lat/Lon: 54.000425, -1.418733), Goldsborough which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial at Goldsborough.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE378560) Avenue House (was Low House)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.