Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: GRINDLETON. Church dedication: CHAPEL.
Staincliffe wapentake, W.D. -Population, 1,103, vide Mitton ; Chapel-room, 300 *1; Net value, £85.
Patron, the Vicar of Mitton.
Certified value in 1707, £4. 3s.; and in 1818, £95 per annum. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 185, it is stated : " The township or 'Lay Monastery' of Sawley to be annexed, and Grindleton made a distinct parish."
This Cure was augmented in 1741, with £200; in 1776, with £200; in 1785, with £200; in 1799, with £200; in 1813, with £200 from the Parliamentary grant ; and in 1823, with £200 from the same grant-all by lot.
There was an unreported decree in the Exchequer, in Easter Term, 24th Eliz.
An Inclosure Act was passed in the 52nd Geo. III.
7th June 1803, a faculty was granted to rebuild the Chapel ; and on the 4th April 1805, the new Chapel was consecrated.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books for baptisms and burials commence in 1774. Marriages are celebrated at Mitton.
School. Endowment : cottage and two roods of land, and moiety of rent-charge of £4. 10s., under the will of Henry Robinson. The children are taught reading, writing, and arithmetic, at a moderate quarterage.
Poor's Estate. Twelve acres. Rent applied in aid of the poor's rate.
Customary Payments. Rent-charges of 13s., 9s., and 2s., also applied in aid of the poor's rate.
Poor's Cottages. Six tenements (now four) occupied by poor people.
Parker's gift. £13 to the poor. This sum has been laid out in repairing a barn on the poor's estate.
Henry Robinson's gift, by will, in 1717. Moiety of rent-charge of £4. 10s. per annum to the poor. -Vide 15th Report, page 707.
Post town: Clitheroe.
Torre's MS., page 672. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 139. Whitaker's Craven, page 39. Whitaker's Whalley, page 463.
*1 In 1818, the return was 350.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.