GREAT MITTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"GREAT MITTON, a parish, chiefly in the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, but partly in the lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, county Lancaster, 3 miles W. of Clitheroe, its post town, and 2 S.E. of Whalley. It is situated at the confluence of the rivers Hodder and Ribble. The parish, which is very extensive, contains the townships of Great Mitton, Aighton, Grindleton, Waddington, Hurst-Green, Bailey, Chaigley, Bashall-Eaves, and West Bradford. Henry VI. was betrayed in this parish by the Talbots, and in 1319 it was the scene of dreadful slaughter and devastation, committed by the Scots on their irruption into England. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The soil is clay, upon a subsoil of gravel and limestone. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £180. The church, dedicated to Allhallows, formerly belonged to Cockersand Abbey, and was built in the reign of Edward III. It is a stone structure with a lofty square embattled tower containing five bells. The interior of the church has an ancient cross, and on the N. side of the chancel is the sepulchral chapel of-the Sherburne family. In addition to the parish church there are the following district churches, viz: at Grindleton, Hurst-Green, and Waddington, the livings of which are all perpetual curacies,* varying in value from £122 to £85. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum. There is a day school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. John Welchman Aspinall, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of a considerable portion of the surface. Stoneyhurst, now occupied as a Roman Catholic college, was anciently the seat of the Sherburnes, commenced by Sir Richard Sherburne towards the close of the 16th century."
"BASHALL EAVES, a township in the parish of Great Mitton, western division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the N.W. of Clitheroe. It is situated on the confines of Lancashire, and was at an early period the seat of the Talbots and Lacys."
"GRINDLETON, a chapelry in the parish of Great Mitton, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Clitheroe, its post town, and 14 S. of Settle. The river Ribble flows through the neighbourhood. The land is chiefly pasture. The village is considerable, and part of the inhabitants are engaged in weaving. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £100, in the patronage of the Vicar of Mitton. The church is an ancient stone edifice with low tower. The register commences in 1744. There are charities producing about £30 yearly, of which £6 area school endowment. There are also eight almshouses for widows, and a National school for boys and girls."
"PAGEFOLD, a hamlet in the township of Bashall Eaves, parish of Great Mitton, West Riding county York, 2 miles N.W. of Clitheroe. It is situated near the Lancashire border."
"WADDINGTON, a chapelry in the parish of Great Mitton, W. division of Staincliffe wapentake, West Riding county York, 1½ mile N. of Clitheroe, its post town, and 20 miles W. of Skipton. The village is situated on the western side of Ribblesdale, near the river Ribble. There is a cotton mill. Henry VI., after the battle of Hexham, was concealed at Waddington Hall. The living is a perpetual curacy,* in the diocese of Ripon, value £122. The church, dedicated to St: Helen, was rebuilt in 1825. The parochial charities produce about £652 per annum, which go to Parker's hospital for 20 widows, founded in 1700. There is a school for both sexes, at which a Sunday-school is held. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The Hon. Mrs. Ramsden is lady of the manor and principal landowner."
"WEST BRADFORD, a township in the parish of Great Mitton, wapentake of Staincliff and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the N. of Clitheroe. It is situated on the river Ribble. There is a small endowment for education."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013