[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"GREAT OUSEBURN, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Claro, liberty of the Forest of Knaresborough; 4 miles from Boroughbridge, 7 from Knaresborough, 14 from York. Pop. 437. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Boroughbridge, diocese of Chester, value, ~£3. 10s. Patron, the King."
"OUSE HEAD, (Obelisk) in the parish of Great Ouseburn; 3¾ miles SE. of Boroughbridge, 7½ from Knaresborough.
Here stands a neat little pillar, which marks the head of the River Ouse. This celebrated head, whose waters would scarcely wet your shoe soles, is a burlesque upon two noble rivers, the Ure and the Swale, by depriving them of their names, and usurping a dignity in favour of a dirty puddle. --Hutton."
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Ouseburn to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE449618 (Lat/Lon: 54.050214, -1.315703), Great Ouseburn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.