GREAT OUSEBURN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"GREAT OUSEBURN, a parish in the wapentake of Lower Claro, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Boroughbridge, and 14 W. by N. of York, its post town. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated in the vale of the Ure, over which is a wooden bridge to Aldwork, on the site of the ancient ferry. The parish gives name to the Poor-law Union, the house of which has accommodation for about 100 paupers. The soil consists of loam and clay, producing good crops of grain. The greater part of the land is arable. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1770. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £213. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure, with a square embattled and pinnacled tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains some mural monuments. The parochial charities produce about £16 per annum. There is a school for both sexes, erected by H. S. Thompson, Esq., who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. There is also a Sunday-school."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013