Area, 8,890 acres. Skirack wapentake, U.D. -Population, 10,028 *1; Church-room, 600 *2; Net value, £751. -The Church of Guiseley was anciently of the patronage of the Le Wards.
The presentation is alternate, in consequence of the descent upon the co-heireses of Sir Christopher Ward.
The present patrons are George Lane Fox, Esq. and Trinity College, Cambridge, one turn in three.
A Chantry is named in the Valor Ecc.
In Pope Nicholas's Taxation the Church was valued at £20 and in the new Taxation at £5, in the King's Books at £26, and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 346, at £120 per annum.
There was an Act passed in the 12th Geo. III. for inclosing the township of Carlton, another in the 36th Geo. III. for inclosing Guiseley, and another in the 43d Geo. III. for inclosing the township of Yeadon.
Torre gives a close catalogue of the Rectors to 1581 only, which is continued by Dr. Whitaker.
An unreported decree was made in the Exchequer, in Trinity Term 14th Elizabeth (Esholt).
26th November 1831, faculty to new pew the Church.
27th February 1834, confirmation of allotment of pews.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register books commence in the year 1586.
The Rev. Robert Moore, Rector of Guiseley, by will, dated 22nd July 1622, devised a tenement, &c. in Menston, for the maintenance of a schoolmaster to be appointed by the Rector. The tenement, &c. appears to have been sold, and £7 per annum is paid in lieu of the rent.
Dean Hitch, by will, dated 6th February 1676, left the rents of certain property at Guiseley and Yeadon in trust, to pay to the poor of Guiseley 20s., Yeadon 13s. 4d., Carleton 16s. 8d., Menston and Rowley Woodhead 20s., Addle and Arthington 40s., to be distributed by the ministers and overseers on Mayday. Residue to the master of the freeschool. The trustees are the Rector of Guiseley, the Vicar of Otley, and the heirs of Henry Hitch. The schoolmaster also receives a rent-charge of 20s. out of a field at Guiseley. There are from 25 to 30 free scholars, who are instructed in reading, writing, and accounts. -Vide 15th Report, page 651.
Post town: Otley.
Torre's MS., page 385. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 109. Loidis et Elmete, page 208. Parsons's Leeds, &c. vol. 1. pages 440.
*1 Viz. Carlton, 181 ; Guiseley, 1,604 ; Horse-forth, 3,425; Rawden, 2,057; and Yeadon, 2,761. The inmates of an incorporated poor-house in the township of Carlton (containing 63 persons) are included in that return. In the Chapelry of Horseforth, all the labourers not agricultural are employed in quarries, coal-mines, and bleaching works. In 1834, the Population was returned at 4,549.
*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 1,450. 520 additional sittings (of which 200 are free) have been procured, towards which the Society made a grant of £200.