Guiseley Baptist Church History
Guiseley Baptist Church History up to 1912.
GUISELEY * BAPTIST CHURCH
The Guiseley Church is the outcome of work undertaken by students of Rawdon College. Services were held in a room at the Town Hall, commencing about the year 1881. On the 21st March, 1883, fourteen persons were baptized at Rawdon Chapel by the Rev. T. G. Rooke, B.A., then Principal of the College. These brethren and sisters formed the nucleus of the future Church. The room in the Town Hall proving very inconvenient for, worship, four members of the college committee met with the Guiseley friends and it was decided to build a school-chapel. By strenuous efforts the building and ground were made free from debt just before the treasurer, the Rev. T. G. Rooke, passed away.
The students continued to preach till 1896, when the Rev. R. Scott was called to be pastor. After ten years of service he resigned in 1906. The students again supplied the pulpit until, in September, 1911, the Rev. W. A. Livingstone, of Slaithwaite, accepted the pastorate. Guiseley is a rapidly growing residential district, and the Church is receiving fresh adherents as a result of the increasing population. Recently the premises have been repaired and redecorated, and an organ acquired. With enthusiastic workers and a faithful ministry there are bright prospects before the Church.
* John Moore desires a certificate as being a Protestant dissenting minister, and desires also his house in Guiseley for meeting place." Leeds, July 1695,
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley