The Brearley Church first met on March 22nd, 1846, numbering only eight members, who had been transferred from Hebden Bridge. They represented the three families of the Fawcetts, the Rileys, and the Hodgsons. Their place of worship had been built by Mr. Hodgson, to whom they paid a small annual interest upon his outlay. It was opened on November 12th, 1845, and named "Bethel", but was known locally as "Little Faith", having been so built that in the event of failure it could be easily converted into cottages. For seven years the new cause had no pastor, but more than forty members were received into its fellowship.
In May, 1853, Rev. Peter Scott became minister, remaining until advancing years compelled his retirement. He died, in 1866, in the house of his friend Rev. Wm. Haigh, at Steep Lane. He was succeeded by Rev. P. Lewis, who came from Rawdon College, in 1867; his successful work necessitated the building of a new chapel. The ground was given by Mr. Hodgson, and the new sanctuary was opened for worship on July 15th, 1875, having cost nearly 3000. In the same year a day school was begun, and maintained until 1884, when it was relinquished into the hands of the Sowerby School Board. In 1877 the Church passed a resolution accepting the open communion principle.
Mr. Lewis, who resigned in 1882, was succeeded by another Rawdon student —Rev. F. Allsop (1883-96). The cause continued success-fully, and in 1887 a manse was built; but, in the years immediately following, two of the three mills in the village were closed, and the Church suffered very serious losses by removals. Rev. R. H. Rigby followed with a brief ministry of three years, giving place to Rev. W. A. Livingstone (1899-1905). The Church is at present without a pastor.