Morley wapentake. -Population, 8,791, vide Halifax ; Chapel-room, 740 *1; Net value, £140.
Patron, the Vicar of Halifax.
At the time of the Parliamentary Survey, this Chapelry contained two hundred families. Recommended to be made a distinct parish. -Vol. xviii. page 281.
A brief was granted in 1763 for this Church.
In 1695, license granted that the inhabitants of Illingworth and Ovenden have right of sepulture in this Chapel. The Vicar of Halifax's dues being reserved to him, for the getting the consent of the Vicar and other inhabitants of Halifax to this Chapel being made parochial, they of Illingworth gave some plate to the Church of the value of £5. -Archbishop Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 187.
Augmented, in 1718, with £200, to meet benefactions of £200 from Mr. J. Wilkinson and others, and a legacy of £50, for general purposes, from Mr. William Young, late of Saint James's, Westminster ; in 1792, with £200, by lot ; in 1794, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from J. Mitchell, the younger, Esq., and John Watkinson, jun., gent.; and in 1821, with £200 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.
Mr. Crabtree gives the particulars of the endowment of the Chapel.
28th October 1738, faculty granted to enlarge the Chapel.
8th April 1777, ditto granted to rebuild the Chapel.
The glebe house is unfit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1695.
Bowcock's charity, vide St. John Baptist. The sum of £6 per annum is appropriated to the poor of Ovenden.
Somerscale's charity, vide St. John Baptist. A portion of this (about £20 per annum). is appropriated to the poor of Ovenden.
Phoebe Fourness's charity, by deed, dated 3rd June 1701. 10s., rent-charge out of a cottage, to the minister for reading divine service, and preaching every Sunday ; residue of the rent to the poor frequenting the service. The 10s. rent-charge is still paid, but not the residue.
Poor's Cottage, given by Isaac Walton for the poor of Ovenden. -Vide 18th Report, page 580.
Post town: Halifax.
Whitaker's Loidis et Elmete, page 391. Watson's Halifax, page 442. Crabtree's Halifax, page 376. History of Halifax, page 293.
*1 In 1818, the Chapel-room was returned at 900.