HALIFAX: Halifax Lee Mount Baptist Church History up to 1912.
HALIFAX, LEE MOUNT BAPTIST CHURCH
The Lee Mount Church, Halifax, is the outcome of work undertaken at Ovenden in the year 1844. A Church was formed here in 1846, but was dissolved in 1857. The Sunday School was continued, and became a branch school of North Parade in 1866. Three years later a movement was made towards the erection of a school-chapel. In 1892, a Church was again formed—with the warm approval of North Parade—and numbered 134 members. This progressive step was followed by the inauguration of a settled pastorate, the Rev. J. H. Robinson receiving a call in 1893. He was succeeded by Rev. D. B. Davies in 1899, who was followed by the present pastor, Rev. F. W. Duncombe, in 1906.
The Church, encouraged by a promise of £500 from the Twentieth Century Fund, applied itself to a great building undertaking, which resulted in the opening of a new chapel on May 30th, 1908. The new sanctuary seats 760 worshippers, and at its dedication service the welcome announcement was made that 2701 had been already received towards the total cost of 4400.
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley