SOWERBY, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 3 miles SW. of Halifax, 9 from Huddersfield. Pop. 6,890. The Chapel, built in 1763, is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Peter, value, p.r. £78. Patron, the Vicar of Halifax.
In this Chapel, is a statue of Archbishop Tillotson, erected in compliance with the Will of his surviving grand niece, upwards of thirty years ago. The archbishop was born at Haugh End, in this township. See p.307
At Sowerby, was once a Castle, the foundation of which may yet be seen in a field near the top of the town, adjoining to which is piece of ground, called the Hell Croft, where, no doubt, the dead were buried. It is not known at what time it was built, but it is clear, however, that during the possessions of the Earls of Warren, there was a Castle here, and that they frequently resorted hither for the diversions of hunting, hawking, &c. This was conveyed by John, the last Earl, to King Edward II.; but when the fort was suffered to decline, does not appear. --Watson's History of Halifax.