STAINLAND: Stainland Congregational Church History up to 1868.
A chapel was erected here about the year 1755, and a congregation formed, comprehending Christians of different denominations, principally Wesleyans and Independents.
- The first minister known was Rev. S. LOWELL, who left Stainland in 1782 for Brighouse.
- The next was Rev. JOHN BATES, who removed in 1793 to Mixenden.
- To him succeeded Rev. SAMUEL BARRACLOUGH, who afterwards joined the new connexion.
- Rev. Mr. HANSON (Idle Acy.), followed. He removed to Shelley 1812.
Hitherto public worship had been carried on with a very mixed congregation. As Mr. Hanson once observed in answer to an inquiry respecting the denomination to which the people belonged: "We have Wesleyans, Independents, and Church-people; an Independent parson in the pulpit, a Baxterian clerk, a Roman Catholic organ, and a drunken player, and so you may call us what you like." At length, _ in 1813, the Congregationalists formed themselves into a separate congregation, and constituted a church. The pulpit was occupied principally for a time by students from Idle Academy. At length a regular pastorate was formed, and the ministers have been the following:-
- 1817. Rev. S. RHODES (Idle Acy.). Mr. R. left in 1827.
- 1829. Rev. ROBERT BELL (Airedale Coll.). Under his ministry the congregation greatly increased. He left for Sowerby Bridge 1840.
- During this pastorate the chapel was enlarged, and a parsonage house was built.
- 1841. Rev. J. BRAMALL (Highbury Coll.), from Patricroft. He left in 1844 for Swanland, where his health failed. He was afterwards in London, where he was deacon of Union Chapel, Islington, and secretary to Cheshunt College. He died, much esteemed, Jan. 19, 1864.
- 1846. Rev. J. RAWLINSON (Lanc. Coll.) He removed in July, 1850, to Cheltenham.
- 1853. Rev. W. S. BALL (from Havant. He removed in 1856 to Newton-le-Willows, where he died, in 1861.
- 1859. Rev. W. GARNER (from Denholme). He resigned in 1862.
- 1863. Rev. J. HALEY (Lanc. Coll.), the present minister (in 1868).
* By aid of Rev. J. Haley,
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.