Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: THORNTHWAITE.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.

Claro wapentake, L. D. -Population, 1,046, vide Hampsthwaite *1; Chapel-room, 450; Net value, £109.

Patron, the Vicar of Hampsthwaite.

In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 144, the Curacy was only valued at twenty shillings per annum. Recommended to be made a parish, by reason of the distance from Hampsthwaite, and the badness of the way.

Augmented, in 1744, with £200, and in 1749, with £200, both by lot ; in 1765, with £200, to meet benefaction from William Day, gent., of £200; in 1808, with £200, by lot ; and, in 1814, from the Parliamentary grant with £600 also by lot.

There is no glebe house.

Registers included in Hampsthwaite.

Marriages are celebrated at the Mother Church.

-Not noticed by Torre.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Pateley Bridge.


Notes:
*1 In 1818, it was 856.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.